I’m not as offended as I am sad to
hear you talk about Mexicans the way you did. It is heartbreaking to know there
are people with money and power enough to break boundaries and instead they
choose to make them stronger. First of all you should know I’m Mexican and I’m
not a rapist, murderer or drug lady. I live in Mexico and work as a junior high
teacher, I’m getting my major in a few months and I’m fluent in three languages.
I’ve also traveled the world and I’ve learned that each country has its own
demons, but also its own charm.
I don’t
intend here to defend Mexico’s honor and value because I’ve seen the problems
in my country and with my people, but you know what? I’ve seen the problems in
the U.S. too. The only reason drug is crossing the border is because someone on
the other side is buying it. And you have murderers too, you have drug lords
too, you have rapists and burglars and crazy people randomly shooting everyone
in a school or a shopping center. And still, some of my best friends are Americans
and I absolutely love them.
You talk
about victories and beating other countries, you talk about protection. What is
it exactly that the U.S. needs to be protected from? Immigrants? You seem to
have forgotten how the United States of America came to be. Your country is one
of immigrants who have built the nation from the ground, and they are still
coming, working for your country. They’re not all “people with problems”, you
have Mexicans with Master’s Degree, experts on their field, Mexicans doing
charity work, even border patrol officers who are first generation. You have
officer González, Perez, Torres, Díaz, I’ve seen them. And yet you are
specifically scared of Mexicans and I just don’t get why. You have freaking
China Towns in every big city, there’s Little Tokyo in LA, and Italian
communities on the East Coast, are you going to kick them out too?
What the
world needs is cultures coming together, people being open and willing to
listen to others. I’ve learned to look beyond stupid stereotypes and empathize
with people from at least twenty different countries. As a teacher I promote
global awareness and international collaboration, and I’m concerned there are
people like you in this world, xenophobic and irrational. It is impossible to
love something you don’t know or don’t understand, that’s why I travel, and
that’s why I want to learn more languages, and that’s why I forbid
stereotypical comments in my classroom. Because prejudice, dear Mr. Trump, only
shows ignorance and fear.
Proudly
Mexican,
Emma T.
Concuerdo contigo enteramente, creo que es la verdadera forma de ver la vida, sin embargo no estamos preparados para abandonar los estereotipos del todo, ojala fuera distinto. Que una mujer caminando a altas alturas de la noche no temiera si ve dos hombres encapuchados en su camino, o que el traje mas caro y palabras elocuentes no fuesen sinónimo de obtener un trabajo. Sin embargo el miedo o la superficialidad aun son motores que mueven al ser humano como civilización, y para cambiar esa visión se necesitan riesgos y atrevimiento, como contratar una persona llena de tatuajes en un lugar 100% empresarial guiándose únicamente por el intelecto y determinación de esta, o que una mujer camine sola de noche solo para disfrutar de la caminata, sabiendo que se arriesga pero quizá mostrando que si no vive con ese miedo las cosas pueden cambiar. Aunque sorprendentemente en lugares como Seúl esto era algo normal y me sorprendió mucho al verlo, en fin, divagué mucho, muy buenas palabras , felicidades por ellas, sigue externando tu opinión, tu manera es interesante.
ResponderEliminarSé que los estereotipos no desaparecen de la noche a la mañana, pero creo que no
Eliminardeberían guiar a un país que además es potencia mundial. Y bueno, por algo se empieza, poco a poco ya hay profesores tatuados en primarias, maestras con el cabello azul o rosa en secundaria. Y yo no pretendo cambiar todo con este escrito, pero por lo menos invitar a la reflexión.